Tuesday 15 May 2012

Back to work

For the past few months I've been writing a fair number of hours per week, in between family time and part-time work. That's more regular writing than I've probably ever done before. It's been great to get into the groove and improve my style. 


That part-time work has had to increase recently, in order for me to support the family, so that for the summer I'll probably just have a few evenings and part of the weekend to write. But I don't see it as a loss - rather, the work time is fuel for more stories. Like today I met someone at work and we got to know each other. He's a coach who most enjoys teaching kids to excel in competitive swimming, but he's not found enough coaching to support himself. He isn't from this town, and feels a little alienated by the locals who, on meeting him for the first time, invariably ask, "Are you from here?" With me, it's obvious - they think I have a nice accent (although, as I keep telling them, it's them who have the accents!).


I can see this man has dreams he follows, even into the beginnings of middle age, and he's still looking for ways to realize them against all the odds. Maybe he or someone a little like him will become a character in one of my stories one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment